Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

No soap, radio

As part of my efforts to get myself to write more, I've decided I need  a space where I can ramble, free associate, not worry about being rational and coherent, rather just "detox," in Monica Hardy's terminology. Though that's a bit of an off-putting way to phrase it, sounds dismissive, and really what Monica is proposing is a structured process for self-reflection. That's not what I'm envisioning here...I just want to ramble, be the bricoleur of ideas, grabbing something here and associating it there based on the most tenuous of links, perhaps, but allowable in this freed-up space.

So here I am, already starting a second paragraph, without really having said a thing. I guess I'm fulfilling my mission.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, the title: when I was in junior high school, or thereabouts – so 1956 or 1958 perhaps -- someone shared this joke: Two bears are sitting in a bathtub, and one bear says, "Pass the soap," and the other bear says, "No soap, radio."

    This was one of the first moments I ever felt I grokked the absurd, that here was something about which I had not a clue, and yet nevertheless it was a satisfying story, its the lack of sense notwithstanding. Now what kind of word is "notwithstanding" to use at a time like this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story. Great title. Great place to ramble and reflect on any idea that pops in, trying to connect with whatever you were first thinking about. We probably can't see the connection at the time, but it's there. Our minds are like that.

    Enjoy your rambling...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bricoleur makes do with what is at hand. Look forward to seeing what evolves.

    ReplyDelete